Let’s admit the fact! Proofreading is time consuming and tiring. But it comes as a nightmare, when a thesis you worked hard on, is full of typos, misspellings and grammatical mistakes. Hence it becomes a necessity to proofread the research paper before the final submission and ensure error free thesis before turning it into a masterpiece.
Why proofread your research paper?
- Checks spelling and corrects misspelled words or identify words used in the wrong context.
- Checks punctuation, grammar, and capitalization style.
- Lets you avoid repetition of phrases or ideas.
- Checks for the clarity and consistency of your idea.
However, proofreading is not an effortless task. Many a times, your brain reads what was meant to be written rather than what was written. Fret no more! Here are few hacks that will make proofreading process a easier one!
- Take it line by line – To proofread effectively, you need to read every word. Try using a ruler or a white sheet to cover the rest of the lines, forcing your eye to move along one line at a time, and use a pencil/ pen to point at each word.
- Double check facts and figures – Make sure you don’t blindly copy the figures and facts. Cross check them and ensure it makes sense before the final submission.
- Play with colors – Enjoy proofreading process. Highlight texts with different colours. This not only grasps your attention but also ensures you are not bored and you remain engaged.
- Take a printout – Switch keyboards and mouse with pen and paper. It’s been proved that reading a hard copy allows people to remain engaged more with what they are reading. So, take a paper copy, a pen, and mark down what needs to be fixed, then go back onto your computer and fix it up.
- Lookout for Non academic words – Don’t end correcting only technical/ academic words. Pay attention to the non academic words like more, very, actually, much, and also on homophones like ‘here’ & ‘hear’, ‘too’ & ‘two’ etc. Make sure the words used reflects the meaning which you expect it to.
- Follow a step by step process – Don’t just randomly proofread your research paper. Go step-by-step. First look for grammar issues, next check for spellings, check spacing, and then check all tables, graphs, reference lists.
- Hire professional proofreaders – There are many online proofreaders who can help you with your research paper. Seek assistance from experienced and highly skilled professionals proofreaders and obtain an error free research paper.
Although proofreading is a tiring process, it is definitely a rewarding process. Follow the above mentioned simple and quick hacks to proofread your research paper before turning in your paper.